Castle Crashing "The Beard" is an action platform-based game.
Developed by BomToons and published on May. 01, 2008.
Its medium badge Fulp Fiction is a part of Epic Quest .
GameplayYou play the game as a knight fighting a flying bearded head. The head represents Tom Fulp, the creator of Newgrounds.com who vowed not to shave his face until the release of his next console game "Castle Crashers" for the X-Box 360 live-arcade.
The game introduces three bars, two are for HP of both you and your enemy. The third bar represents magic bar which increases over time making your loaded shot by holding "A" more powerful. You have 3 lives.The goal is to defeat the head and earn XP in the process, which will grant you a level up to a new character with a new weapon and magic attack. XP earning is progressive, meaning you gain 1 XP for the first hit, 2 XP for the second and so on... You can earn XP by hitting tombstones scattered along the land, as well.
The battle takes a place in a limited space, having three locations within. Left, right (both having two platforms) and the middle.
As mentioned, you have two types of attacks, one with your weapon and other is with magic. While the flying head has:
- A plain attack with the beard when you come near.
- An attack where the beard rotates and the head follows you.
- Laser beam attack at two levels, one up and one down. (The sign of this attack is when the head moves to the edge of one side, either right or left). You can dodge both, the lower level with jumping over the highest platform and the upper level by jumping off.
- Falling bread when the head exits the top of the screen. You can survive this attack by standing under a platform and dodge the bouncing bread.
- When the head is beaten, it will turn into a skull with one attack, which is shooting fireballs in 8 directions on the left, the right and the middle of the screen.
Press "A" to attack/navigate menus.
Arrow keys to move - Up to jump.
|Character||Weapon||Level up XP|
|1. Blue knight||Plunger||Initial character|
|2. Green knight||Mace||100|
|3. Red knight||Axe||250|
|4. Golden knight||Spear||650|
|5. Pink knight||Lollipop||950|
- Dodging laser beam requires jumping on and off platforms, but the space between them is small, making it hard to reach them.
- The hard badge requires beating the game in under 4 minutes, but there is no timer to tell the gamers when to stop if they have failed.
- Leveling up character should bring some reward, like extra lives.
- The final character was disappointing, having a pink knight with a lollipop.